Saturday, December 6, 2008

Finding Emo


"Kids these days..." When adults would say phrases like that when I was a teenager, I thought, 'I will never be like them. I will be a cool mom. I will just get it.' And usually, I am, and I do...

But, lately I feel really old. I feel out of the loop. Because I don't get Emo. What IS Emo? I know it is rock music that sounds really hard and punky (and usually really good) until some little bitch boy gets on and belts it out in a high-pitched prepubescent voice, singing all about how HARD it all is to be a teenager, and how nobody understands, and how life is so... bleak. I suppose I'd probably feel pretty shitty about my options in life if I had a reverse mullet all greased up with my extra long bangs in my face. I guess I'd probably be down on possibilities if I had to wear those tight-ass skinny jeans that cut off the circulation in my calves (but somehow, in ways that seem to defy the laws of physics, still remain baggy enough that you can see the skulls and crossbones on my boxer shorts). I think I'd probably have a hard time seeing my future clearly through the thick horn-rimmed glasses I wear to look cool, despite the fact that they totally screw up my vision because I don't even need glasses.

I don't get it. They say it is all about the Emotion, natch, since that's where they got the name for the whole thing.... but doesn't ALL music convey emotion? Maybe it is because of the message of the songs, and the 'we're all in this together' mentality that makes them think that this music really SPEAKS to them.

All I know is that I would personally like the chance to SPEAK to them and tell them to wash their hair and wash off the guyliner and buy some real jeans, and stop cutting themselves, and stop feeling so sorry about their damned life already. We certainly didn't have crazy haired, oddly dressed rock stars who constantly complained about the injustices of life when I was growing up... oh. well, actually... we totally did. We totally did! And now our kids do. Ah, Kids these days!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids these days? Kids these days are out of their minds with their sagging pants and skinny pants. They look like creatures from The Nightmare Before Christmas. I laughed the entire length of this blog. Couldn't agree with you more.

Anonymous said...

Jen, you know why kids are like this with the Emo thing? It's probably in response to the Bush administration.

Shop Girl said...

Skinny jeans, long hair, eyeliner, and the whole Emo thing is creepy to me. It is so NOT cute. I mean, we had our own version (The Cure's Robert Smith with his eyeliner) and some fashions our parents hated (Madonna lace gloves and neon bracelets), but overall, this is probably one of the spookiest things I've ever seen. So glad my teenagers don't do it! :)

Nick said...

Emo kids are demented and need to be medicated. Scratch that, if they're medicated they might become worse. So, basically it's a no-win situation. We're screwed. We'll have an Emo President in about thirty years and can look forward to State Of The Union addresses in skinny jeans and moppy hair.

Mark said...

I'm familiar with the boy emo look (nauseating), but am unclear as to what the girl emo attire is. Even so, I'm sure it's equally as preposterous and sickening.