Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Dad


They should have a game called 'Seven Degrees of Jerry Simpson' because somehow, through someone, I guarantee everyone in the known universe could get back to my Dad in three or four steps. He's a talkative guy, outgoing and funny, but surprisingly shy and very quick to deflect all compliments in his humble way. When I think about my Dad, there are so many things I remember about him, things I hold dear to my heart... and I wanted to share a few so you could get to know the man I love so much.

My Dad is the guy who almost never did anything that he wouldn't let us help him with. He'd always find a way to make you feel like there was absolutely no way he could mow the grass or do the dishes or build that house without your little contribution he'd give you to work on. He never criticized your effort, mocked your clumsiness, belittled your input or broke your spirit. Everyone was "still champ-ion of the wo-r-ld" when they worked by his side. You always felt good about yourself when a project was done, even if you never even touched the project.

He's the guy who has worn his hair exactly the same way since, well, forever. I don't even know why he owns a comb and hairspray as I'm quite sure his hair would just shift right into position if he asked it to. It's gone the same place every day.

He's the guy who never uttered a foul word in my entire life, possibly his too. He didn't say 'gosh' or 'darn' because they were too close to the real thing but if my Dad ever uttered the word 'Blasted' when addressing you, you might as well duck and cover because the world was coming down on you.

My Dad can virtually quote the entire Bible, most even in Greek and Hebrew, but he won't remember your birthday until a week after. It doesn't mean he doesn't love you... his mind just doesn't work that way.

My Dad is the guy who talks to everyone. And I mean everyone. No really, everyone. If you are his wife or child, it will eventually drive you insane, sometimes make you angry, and often leave you sitting in the car waiting for him, trying to make eye contact that says 'SHUT UP SO WE CAN GET OUT OF HERE'. But, it also makes you love him for it, too. He makes every person he encounters (gas station clerks, toll booth operators, sales associates, grocery store workers, mailmen, janitors, fast food employees) feel SEEN, and usually won't stop talking until he's made them laugh (sometimes because he's really funny, sometimes because they have no idea what he's talking about) and usually will never speak to anyone without asking them about their salvation and trying to tell them about Jesus. If we truly are storing up riches in Heaven, my Dad will have six mansions.

He's the guy who traded in his nightstand for a stack of books, and has read a million texts more than once. He can usually answer most any question you have on anything, because he's probably wondered the same thing before too.

He loves any type of aircraft, and if you're his child, you have spent many hours watching planes take off and land or going to air shows and falling in love with the rumble in your chest and the roar in your ears and the way the ground shakes beneath you. It excited him so much that it just sort of spilled over, and you couldn't help but love it the same way. I still love it to this day.

He's the hardest worker you'll ever meet. My Dad will work from dawn til dusk (and later) without thinking of how tired he is or how much his back or knees or hips hurt. He will always give 100% and do everything in his perfectionist way, and if it's not 'just so' he will do it again. If you're paying him, he will do it six times at no extra charge because he can't stand sloppy work, or putting his name on something that's not right. When it's right, he will still drive away thinking he could have done better.

He's the guy who I never wanted to be away from when I was little. And the guy that was so engaging and funny that when I was a teen and would go out on a date, the guys would sometimes ask if we could just stay at my house and hang out with my dad. This was never what I wanted to do at the time (were they crazy?) but now sounds like the absolute perfect date. I'd rather spend time with him than just about anybody.

He's the guy who loves you just the way you are, no matter how you are or who you are. He never judges you, is always forgiving of your flaws, and never uses God against anyone in a punishing way. He says he's "in sales, not management" and leaves your relationship with the Lord between you and the Lord. Even with his own children, once you are mostly grown, he just loves you and encourages you to do the things you were taught until you learn your own lessons and figure out you're on the wrong path. It makes you trust him, and honestly, trust God even more. He's a good example and a great guidepost, but he never makes you feel ashamed for your mistakes. He says it's because he struggles just as much to do what's right, but nobody who knows him would ever believe that.



I could go on forever with silly things, admirable things, interesting things that all make up the man I call my Daddy. I am honored to know him, and say that he loves me. I wish I was closer to him so that these things were more observations and less memories, but somehow he is always with me -- the voice inside my head, the song when I am down, the anchor when my vessel is shaken -- and I am glad to know that he's made an imprint on my life that will never fade away.

He won't read this... he's also the guy who can't even turn ON a computer, but in this note and in my heart I will always be saying, "I love you, Daddy. From your Sugar Bear."

No comments: