Saturday, September 3, 2011

Seeing the Forest


You know... some days, when two of my kids are arguing, and the other one is in time out, and someone slams a door, and we can't find a shoe, and chores are ignored, and someone gets grounded and every single one of us ends up crying about something... I think, "I am really screwing this whole parenting thing up big time."

And then, we have whole weeks where one lets the other win at tic-tac-toe, and one cleans the kitchen and takes out the trash to surprise me when I come home, and I overhear one whisper "I really love you, you know." to the other after the lights go out at bedtime, and someone prays "I love you God, and thank you for the food, God, and when I get to Heaven I'll see you." before dinner... and then I know that we're all just doing the best we can, and our best is... actually, pretty great.

No comments: