Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Boys will be Boys

I am not a clean freak. But, I like things to be neat. I like clean floors, vacuumed carpet. I like things to have a place. And when you are done with them, I like them to go to that place.

But, little boys don't operate that way. My son knows his room has to be clean before he can go outside. Sometimes he cleans it in the morning before school so I won't be able to object in the afternoon when he wants to jump out of the car and go play before we even get near our driveway. BUT, He gets very frustrated when he has to clean his room. First, because he is a little boy and messy feels good. But mostly because his messes can't just be put away. Right now, in the middle of his floor there is an elaborate set-up of batteries, and rubber bands and alligator clamps and wires and paperclips. He used it to power a lightbulb. Two days ago he powered a mini-fan using pencil lead to conduct the juice from the batteries. His remote control Hummer truck is outfitted with a makeshift mailbox for sending me messages, and he built a rocket that deploys a parachute after takeoff to ensure a safe landing. You can't just put that in a drawer!

I don't appreciate stepping on a '64 Impala SS when I walk through his room at night, but it's hard to relocate the thing when I'm afraid it might set off a Rube Goldberg experiment and ultimately electrocute me.

No comments: