If I had a choice, the only time I'd ever tell stories would be on the front porch. I'd offer you a creaky rocking chair and a mason jar filled with sweet tea, and we'd chat about our day, or exchange recipes, or tell stories about our lives. Next time you're passing by... come and sit with me a while...
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Six Degrees of 'Investigation'
I love my couch! I have a matching set that includes the sofa, a chair that is so wide it can sit two uncomfortably (ha) and an ottoman. I. Love. It. It is a lovely shade of golden tan... with giant pillows all along the back that are a lovely brown and black and golden tan pattern. Ahhh. It is by far the most comfortable couch ever made. It has seen me through many a hospital recovery, late night argument 'forget it, I'm sleeping on the couch', classic movie marathon, and mid-day nap. It has been transformed into a bed almost as many times as it has been transformed into a fort or dollhouse. I've had it forever. Ok, not forever... maybe seven years. And I have moved with this set a whopping eight times. Eight! (Which, I think, says more about how ridiculously up-ended my life has been and speaks more for MY durability than the sofa's.) Almost every time I move, I have to go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a replacement foot for one of the pieces, and I have had to remove the cushion cover at least a dozen times to sew a hole that appeared along a seam. It has been through alot, and like me, has some bumps and bruises to show for it. People keep insisting I get rid of it. But I love it! I actually got it for FREE! The couch was obtained for me by my cousin Luke, who figured I needed a new one since the one I was using was one that we saw someone throwing in the dumpster at my then apartment complex and asked if we could have it instead, for which I made a homemade fitted slipcover out of a king-sized off-white thermal blanket. Ah, the good ol' days. Anyway, he is in the film and tv industry and one of his work buddies on a shoot happened to be the cousin of the director of CSI: Las Vegas, who had just replaced his sofas and was trying to get rid of the old ones. His friend mentioned he wanted to go get them, but didn't know where he would put them... to which Luke replied, "Dude. I know who would LOVE those couches!" And as usual, he was so right. So, my furniture is actually famous. Washed-up, yes... but it had it's day, didn't it? Who knows what story lines and cast changes (and maybe casting "auditions"... oh... ewwwww) have happened on my sweet little sofa? Whose feet have rested on my ottoman? It's exciting, isn't it? Clearly it cannot be replaced. So, if you find yourself sitting in my living room, propping your feet up and relaxing against the giant cushions.... I ask that you treat them as you treat me... understanding that they are a little worse for the wear, but mean well nonetheless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment