Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Not while you're living in MY hen house!

I saw a magnet that said, "Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken."
I suppose if you love chicken, and you would die for chicken, and you get incredible joy from having chicken... then I'd agree. It's tough. Even after almost 10 years of being a mom on my own, I must say that it is still hard. It's so much work, and so much time, and so much effort if you want to do it right. If it weren't for organization, a routine, a schedule you try your best to keep, the ability to delegate, negotiate, and prioritize, and a plan for when none of the above actually works, there would be no way pull it off. Many single people with no children still feel overwhelmed by their day, and couples who both pitch in still find it hard to get it all done. But I love it. No matter how stressful, or overwhelming, or tiring, or frustrating it gets... the love for doing it always remains. I've wanted to be a mom as long as I can remember, and there is such a glorious satisfaction to be found in completing each day.... even if it is only with remote success. Because despite the work, these hectic days are also filled with beautiful, irreplaceable moments. Little voices calling out, "I love you, Mom" from the darkness of their room at night, little eyes sparkling with satisfaction when I laugh at their jokes, little hearts... so sweet... that even though they may be busy pecking me to death, also make me love them to death.

No comments: