Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I don't get it

There's something that happens to me a lot, and I don't understand it. It happens at least twice a week, and every time, I am left with this feeling of confusion and/or amusement.

What is up with CAR FLIRTING? I am just driving along... minding my own business... usually singing... and realize that someone in the car next to me is minding my business too. So I look over, and get the big cheesy grin, or the raised eyebrow, or the upward head nod that says, 'what's up'. Occasionally I will smile back, but then I just go back to driving. Shouldn't that be the end of it? You've acknowledged me, I have acknowledged you.. just be flattered and move on. Except then, I realize that said car flirter is now pacing me... faster... slower... changing lanes... whatever... trying to get me to look over and/or smile again. What's up with that? I don't get it. What do they think is gonna happen? I am going to pull over and introduce myself? Really, does anybody DO that? And if I did, what would that say about me? Or is it that one smile isn't enough? Must they get four or five separate smiles or looks in order to feel it was a successful interaction? I hope this doesn't sound snobby.. I don't mean it that way. And I also should say that, yes, I am sure that they aren't trying to flag me down to tell me I have a flat tire or a tail light out or that my gas cap is open.
It's just car flirting... and it's strange.

No comments: