Sunday, October 26, 2008

For The Birds

Last night I was at the toy store looking for the one thing my daughter really wants for her birthday on Monday. There's possibly a million toys out there, but of course, she only really wants the one I can't find. As I scoured the Barbie aisle looking for the holy grail, I paused to fall in love with the new 2008 Holiday Barbie. It is simply gorgeous, and actually made me a little misty-eyed. And then, my misty eyes happened upon something that made me stop cold. I stood there looking at it, half not believing what I was seeing, and the other half wondering 'what were they thinking'?

There, in front of me, was a Barbie-sized version of Tippi Hedren... creamy white hand raised in a futile attempt to defend herself from The Birds attacking her... in the box. There are actually little plastic birds attacking Barbie in the box! Uhhh... ok. Lovely toy, Mattel. While it is obviously for the adult collector (I hope), I instantly thought of ShopGirl and her aversion (read:crippling fear) of birds. Can you imagine!?

When Hitchcock ended the movie, he didn't add the usual "The End" because he wanted to create the feeling of a never-ending terror. Forty-five years later, it seems the terror continues ...for Barbie, at least.

Photobucket

5 comments:

LORIE said...

YUCK! I have a bird complex. What's next?

Trish said...

This will definitely NOT be on my Christmas list this winter. Eww

Anonymous said...

LOL I know someone who will be horrified by this post!!

Shop Girl said...

@ dana- very funny.

seriously, wtf is this?!?! what sane person would think that it was okay to give a child this to look at,let alone play with?! what's next clowns dressing as "IT" peforming at kiddie birthday parties?

Anonymous said...

This is just wrong in so many ways! What was Mattel thinking?