Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Free Speech


I think most people, by the time they are adults, have developed a repertoire of swear words that they use most frequently. I personally find "For Fuck's Sake!" to be versatile and effective, so I use it a lot. Unfortunately, it's not just adults that throw this vulgarity around so freely. The way kids talk these days, you'd think that their entire vocabulary was comprised of four-letter words.

There are some times when you just can't use profanity, though. In a professional situation, it's out. At church... doesn't go over well either. AND in an effort to teach children actual words found in a dictionary as opposed to sailor talk... we should always avoid using it in front of them too. SO then what do you do? You censor yourself! You can say it under your breath or not at all, ...OR you can use a fancy sentence enhancer! A fake expletive!

The other day, I was flying with a guy who said he never gets delayed flying through San Francisco. Knowing that just about everyone gets delayed going through San Francisco, I said, "What do you DO?... get out there and fan the fog off?" And he started laughing and said, "FAN THE FOG OFF!? That's the best fake cuss word I've heard in a long time." So we used it all day! Some people use "Cheese and Rice!" or "Shut the front door!". I personally find myself saying, "Crappy McCrapperson" a whole lot. I don't even know what that means... it's pretty stupid! But if I stub my toe in front of my kid... it's way better than saying what I want to say!

Whenever a word gets said in my house that is inappropriate or rude, we say an impromptu prayer for forgiveness. The other day, I said something was "stupid" (a "bad word", even if it isn't an expletive, because there are better choices, and that word can be hurtful) and when my daughter said, "Mommy, you said a bad word!" and then I replied "Oh. I'm sorry Jesus." ...she looked at me like I was very confused and said incredulously, "I'm not Jesus. I'm Aryanna!" hahaha

So. What word to you use when you want to really spew some swearing but can't?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have children, but I do use "Frankenstein!" a lot when I can't curse. It's got enough syllables to make me feel empowered.

Shop Girl said...

My use of the F word is few and far between so, if I get to that point, I usually curse in Filipino, Chinese, or Spanish and people just think I'm crazy, but not a potty mouth. hahaha 'Cause you know, crazy is always SO much better. ;)

Anonymous said...

I say "dagnabbit" around my nieces and nephews or friends with small kids. I know, very Yosemite Sam, but I've never liked G*ddamnit much. It's the Catholic school upbringing in me.

Riley said...

I say "Oh fudge"! Or I curse in Filipino like Mia.HAHAH

LORIE said...

I rarely say Oh My G*d or G*d dammit. However, everything else is up for grabs with me. I also say "bloody" a lot.