Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Red Sole Society

In light of the brilliant suggestion spawned from my earlier posts, I have re-written that famous poem and now nominate it as our Red Sole Society Anthem:


When I am an old woman I shall wear Couture
With a red sole so everyone knows, and is jealous of me.
And I shall spend my social security on Coach and Dolce
and ballerina flats, and say we've no money for gasoline.
I shall sit down on the dressing room floor when I'm tired
and drink mimosas and switch around all of the sale signs
And hand my wet umbrella to some poor sales girl
and make up for the bargain shopping of my youth.
I shall go out in a gorgeous trench in the rain,
and order flowers to be delivered to myself from secret admirers.
And hire a maid.

You can wear skinny jeans even though you are fat
and buy three pair of Jimmy Choos at a go
Or only eat sushi and martinis for a week
And hoard rings and bracelets and lace bras and frilly things on hangers.

But now we must have our tennis shoes that keep us fit
And pay bills and not shop even when the sale is good
And buy school pictures for the children.
We must have power lunches and do sudoku.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear Couture.


Adapted from "When I am Old" by Jenny Jacobs

2 comments:

Shop Girl said...

Perfect. Just perfect. One thing, though that you MUST NEVER let me do, no matter how senile and old we are. WEAR BURBERRY. PLAID. TRENCHCOATS. EVER...because all-over plaid from head to toe is never flattering and since we'll already be kooky (as per your previous post), I don't want to be kooky AND hideous. As my best friend, this is your duty.

Trish said...

Can we take guided tours on those annoying coach buses all over Europe and annoy the hell out of bargain hunting youth hostel kids? We can demand them to take our pictures in front of all the haute couture stores while they lug backpacks around and we saunter away swinging our Coach and Gucci bags merrily. LOL