If I had a choice, the only time I'd ever tell stories would be on the front porch. I'd offer you a creaky rocking chair and a mason jar filled with sweet tea, and we'd chat about our day, or exchange recipes, or tell stories about our lives. Next time you're passing by... come and sit with me a while...
Friday, October 31, 2008
Temptation
I could care less about Halloween candy. I don't get excited that trick-or-treating will bring loads of candy into my home for my munching pleasure, and I don't usually even eat any once it's there. I just don't like candy. We never really have it in the house, and even tonight when I told the kids that they could have three pieces and no more tonight... there was no argument from them. They just picked their three from the piles I had inspected (isn't it a shame we have to do that at all) and enjoyed! I can bet you my paycheck that this candy will still be sitting here next week with only one or two pieces missing. It will go in the trash like it does every year.
My daughter's birthday was on Monday, and we have half of a delicious cake still left. Not once have the kids asked me for another slice. Not once! And I lifted the lid moments ago for the first time since the party and swiped my finger through an icing rosette and put the lid back on. That's all I wanted!
But... Oh, there are some things that I would never be able to ignore! I could sit in a room with a chocolate cake for three months and never take a bite, but put a bag of Doritos in a building and I will find them! Leftover pizza NEVER gets un-eaten. Alfredo from a restaurant hardly makes it into the fridge before I want a little more. The very idea of leaving PF Changs without leftovers makes me want to cry! These things are my temptations, my cravings. There are a few meals that I find myself craving for months and will finally just have to give in. These are the foods I ask God to serve in my heaven. They will bring me joy and not cellulite. I will devour them and feel guilty no more!
What is your food of the gods?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
sushi...but leftover is gross. in terms of leftover food, i'd have to agree with you that those little lettuce wraps i introduced you to from pf changs is my ambrosia.
Post a Comment