Saturday, October 18, 2008

Name that tune

I'm forever getting songs stuck in my head. Even if it is just a few bars, sometimes I will sing and hum them over and over ad nauseum. Some songs are lovely. There are hundreds of songs I will happily carry with me all day, floating along on the lilt of their tune. Other songs make me crazy the instant they burrow their ugly head into my thoughts (think: "Tom's Diner", or "It's a Small World"). But, there comes a point when it is time for all songs to go. When I have repeated the same phrase ten billion times and can't remember what I was going to the store to pick up, or when I can't recall what Mr Business Suit in 15C wanted in his coffee... it's time for the song to pack up and go.
Yesterday the flight attendant I was sharing my galley with happened to whistle four notes of "Hey Jude" as he went down the aisle. For the next SIX hours I was singing the song. In my head, out loud, to him, to passengers, to inanimate objects... whistling, humming, singing, na na na-na-na naaaaaah! ACK! I begged him to give me another song to sing, but we were both stuck. So, it was "Hey Jude" for the day. By the end of our ten-hour day we had both (finally) got it to stop repeating in our heads. And as we rode the van to our hotel last night, what came on the radio?? That's right. "Hey Jude". So much for that! By the end of the song the entire van full of ELEVEN passengers was singing along! Luckily... it's a good song.

What songs usually get stuck in your head? And what do you do to get them out?

5 comments:

Riley said...

That annoying Fergie and her music is always stuck in my head. I openly defend myself telling everyone I can't stand her music and yet there I am in the grocery aisle, the post office line, the kids pick up lane at school, wherever humming or bopping to her music. God help me.

Trish said...

Are you familiar with the old early 90's group Ace of Base? They sang songs like "I Saw The Sign" and "Don't Turn Around" and this annoying song "All That She Wants". Well, I was in the car yesterday and the last one came on...which I've always hated...and so for the rest of the evening and afternoon there I was, singing those stupid lines about some girl wanting another baby. Sigh. My husband actually asked me if I was trying to tell him something!

Anonymous said...

Thank God for this post because I've been wanting to confess this for awhile now and the penance for it will probably be grave. I found myself humming to the Oak Ridge Boys "Elvira" the other day at the doctor's office. Yes dear, "Ba ba oom ba ba oom ba ba maw maw maw". Horrifying, I know.

Shop Girl said...

This happens to me all the time (as you well know).ahahaha I tend to gravitate towards a lot of mushy 70's love songs that I have Radio Delilah to thank for;) Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, Hall and Oats, Air Supply, Chicago, The Carpenters...you name it.

DragonflyGirl said...

Oh, I'm so glad I posed this question! I completely agree with all of you! (Yes, even you, Dana. My heart's on fire for Elvira too) and everyone knows how much I loathe Fergie and all of her music, and how it plagues me night and day. Good responses, guys!