I am constantly surprised at how lost people become when they step on to an airplane. Now, I am going to say right off the bat that I DO realize that I work in and around planes all day long so it's second nature to me. And so, I don't expect people to automatically know where everything is and how it works any more than I'd expect to be able to walk into your office and know my way around. BUT, I wouldn't try to stuff a Buick in your desk drawer, and I wouldn't look in your floppy drive for a stapler, and I certainly wouldn't pull the fire alarm because your trashcan is full.
So why, then, do people think that the laws of physics do not apply to the overhead bins? Why do they try to stuff things in that are twice as big as the opening... like the plane is Wonka-land or something? And... WHY do they look in the dumbest places for the bathroom? I watched a guy walk past a divider wall that is only six inches deep and then go to the broad side of the wall and look for a bathroom door. Really, sir? Really? I mean, I know the bathroom is small and all, but SIX INCHES? And while we are on the subject, WHY is it so hard to figure out if there is someone in the bathroom? People walk up and read "VACANT" and then look at me with an expression that is equally so. Even worse, half of our aircraft just have big green circles on the door when no one is inside. So WHY do they get so confused? Doesn't green mean go?
But, my absolute biggest pet peeve is emergency trash. Please do not stop me while I am demonstrating the life vest or oxygen mask to hand me your empty coffee cup! And for goodness' sake, please don't ring your flight attendant call button because you can't possibly stand to hold your empty three-inch plastic cup for one more second. Will you really DIE if it sits there on your tray in front of you until I come down the aisle with a trash bag? Will you?
I don't mean to complain. It's just that every day that I go to work is just another reminder that common sense is not very common at all.
2 comments:
Don't you love the kids who keep hitting the flight attendant button? I sat next to one of those mini monsters on my trip from London back to Chicago and even I felt horrified for the woman who had to answer not just to the ding of the button, but the shrill voice of "Steeeewaaaaardeeeesssss!" when he wasn't met by her within in 5 mins.
Maybe people go into a self induced little brain coma when they get on a plane, similar to the way they lose all common sense when they get to Vegas. Common sense should be common place and courtesy should be a given.As for the guy thinking a bathroom was a six inch divider...who knows with that one. Clearly, maybe that's all he needed. heh heh
Post a Comment