Friday, November 7, 2008

aint no sunshine



I was tucking my daughter into bed tonight and thought I'd change things up from my usual bedtime song. I usually sing "Holdin' You" by Gretchen Wilson, and even though people tease me about singing a song to my kids that talks about whiskey, if you really listen to the words they are the ultimate sentiment of how love (in my case, for my babies) can save your life.

Anyway, tonight I sang "You Are My Sunshine" and as I was finishing the first verse, I found myself a little choked up. Most of the time, people sing this song as a happy little tune. 'You're my sunshine, la di da'... but the actual lyrics and tone of the song are filled with such aching sadness and longing.

The other night dear, as I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms
But when I awoke, dear, I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You’ll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don’t take my sunshine away

I’ll always love you and make you happy,
If you will only say the same.
But if you leave me and love another,
You’ll regret it all some day:

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You’ll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don’t take my sunshine away

You told me once, dear, you really loved me
And no one else could come between.
But now you’ve left me and love another;
You have shattered all of my dreams:

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You’ll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don’t take my sunshine away

In all my dreams, dear, you seem to leave me
When I awake my poor heart pains.
So when you come back and make me happy
I’ll forgive you dear, I’ll take all the blame.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You’ll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don’t take my sunshine away


This song has a special place in my heart. Most people don't know my story, or about my past, but there was a time I left the chorus of this song written on little slips of paper up each stair of our staircase, when I knew my daddy was leaving for the last time. He still has those little pieces of paper, and this song has never been the same for either of us.

4 comments:

Shop Girl said...

Kyle, Erika, and I have sang this song since they were 2 and 4 years old every night religiously after bedtime prayer. We typically just sing one verse. In fact, Eri said that even overseas Derek still sings it to her because he knows it's been our tradition and that she misses home. "You are My Sunshine", is, without question, the song that will always be the one that reminds me of my children the most and hopefully vice versa.

Vincent said...

It's funny when you take a song, even the most cheerful of melodies, and read the lyrics as if it were poetry; It's almost as if the song doesn't even exist, and the words of even the happiest tune take on a serious, sometimes dark, sometimes sorrowful demeanor. Always makes me wonder whether or not the lyricist intended the words and the melody to contrast that way.

By the way, that picture of the staircase; the story behind it which you shared here...beautiful. Got me a little misty eyed...damn you! haha.

Wonderful writing.

INCULPATORY EVIDENCE said...

VERY NICE STORY, JENNIFER.

Janet Molina said...

Hello,

This was a very touching story you have shared. I am Mia's cousin and Leland and Riley's friend. I look forward to meeting you when I am in the States.

Thank you,
Janet Molina